Museum Kalkar

Built around 1500, the stepped gable house in the brick Gothic style served as a commercial and residential building. After purchase by the city in 1958 and extensive renovation of the exterior, as well as restoration of the historic room layout inside with the entrance hall extending over two floors, the house was opened as a museum in 1966. Prof. Dr. Jakob Heinrich Schmidt, an art historian at the Düsseldorf Art Academy from 1935 to 1962, lived in Kalkar in retirement. Thanks to his contacts, numerous works of art, e.g. of the Düsseldorf School of Painting or also by Franz Radziwill, could be acquired for a future museum. Themes of the town’s history and works by visual artists who lived in Kalkar or had a special relationship with the town (including Heinrich Nauen, Gerhard Janssen, Hermann Teuber) form the focal points of the collection. Exhibitions of contemporary art are also presented.